David Fay, who championed a strategy to bring the U.S. Open to public golf courses, announced on Friday he was retiring after 21 years as executive director of the U.S. Golf Association (USGA).
Mike Butz, the USGA deputy executive director since 1995, will serve as interim executive director from Jan. 1 2011, while the association looks for a new executive director.
Fay, 60, began his career with the USGA in 1978. He became assistant executive director in 1987 and was appointed as the sixth executive director of the USGA in 1989.
A long time advocate of making golf more accessible to the public, his most lasting legacy may be his campaign to bring the U.S. Open to Bethpage State Park on Long Island, N.Y. in 2002. The Black Course became the first public facility to host the national championship.
From 1999 through 2019, the U.S. Open will have been played 11 times on venues accessible to everybody, including Pinehurst No. 2, Pebble Beach, Bethpage Black, Torrey Pines, Chambers Bay and Erin Hills.
Mark Steinberg, his agent at IMG, said Woods had intended all along to have the shot after the Chevron World Challenge, which ended Dec. 5. Woods has nearly two months off before his next tournament at Torrey Pines.
At this year’s Masters, Woods revealed he ruptured the Achilles’ tendon in his right leg in December 2008 while recovering from knee surgery. Steinberg says it still causes soreness, prompting the cortisone shot.
Procter & Gamble Co. will not renew its endorsement deal with Tiger Woods at the end of the year, adding another name to the list of companies that cut ties with the golfer after last year’s revelations of marital infidelities.
The company used Woods, Roger Federer, Lionel Messi and dozens of other athletes as part of its three-year “Gillette Champions” marketing campaign. Gillette said Thursday it was phasing out that program and not renewing the contract with Woods and several other athletes. It stopped using Woods himself in the campaign months ago.
A Japanese court has handed down a suspended sentence to Australian golfer Wayne Perske for possessing and using cocaine.
Masaaki Ono, an official at the Chiba District Court, said the 36-year-old golfer received a year and six months in prison, suspended for three years.
Perske was arrested in October after inhaling cocaine at a bar in Chiba, east of Tokyo, and carrying some 1.25 grams of cocaine in his pocket. A customer at the bar alerted police, leading officers to search and arrest him.
Now you can follow me on twitter at twitter.com/talkgolfgary
Listen to my podcast weekly at par3radio.podbean.com
Send your questions and comments to email@example.com